EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
EurekaZone Focus Group

EurekaZone now has a new forum, please support it. http://tracksawforum.com/index.php

HomeHome  Test PortalTest Portal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Announcement
EurekaZone is supporting a new forum, Track Saw Forum. Please visit and support it. The forum here will become inactive in the near future.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Statistics
We have 223 registered users
The newest registered user is Gene

Our users have posted a total of 850 messages in 227 subjects
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Another use for the M&T jig.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dik Harrison

Dik Harrison

Another use for the M&T jig. Empty
PostSubject: Another use for the M&T jig.   Another use for the M&T jig. EmptyMarch 4th 2009, 9:46 pm

This thread was originally posted on SMC 02/14/09.

After fourteen ands a half years, we decided to hang new curtains in the bedroom and great room. As with most everything, the commercially available curtain rod hangers left a lot to be desired and we could not find anything that we really liked. So I decided to make simple brackets out of oak to go along with the oak that I'm using to replace the window casings. They were to be 3/4" thick, 3.5" high and 4" long with a 1.372" slot for the store bought, stained, and varnished curtain rod. I cut the blanks and rounded over the exposed edges and corners.

Another use for the M&T jig. CurtainRodBracket-Blank

At the drill press, I then drilled a 1.375" hole .25" deep with the center centered vertically and set back from the end by 1".

Another use for the M&T jig. CurtainRodBracket-Hole

I then needed to come up with a way to create the slot leading to the hole.

Another use for the M&T jig. CurtainRodBracket

I realized that the M&T jig that I used previously to drill holes for the retrofit shelf standards, would be perfect to consistently hold the relatively small work pieces for routing. To hold the work piece at the proper angle to rout the slot, I cut two 25 degree wedges from some .5" plywood. I then cut the large ends off the triangles to use to create a right angle to hold the work piece that would be then be held in place by a push clamp pushing at an angle against a third side.

Another use for the M&T jig. CurtainRodBracket-All

It took just a few minutes to cut the pieces and tack them down with 23 guage pins (a lot less time than it is taking to write this). The jig was clamped to the movable platform.

Another use for the M&T jig. IMG_2591

The whole process took about a tenth of the time it has taken for me to prepare this posting. I think it was a lot faster and easier than making a template (something I hate to do), and since the plywood of the jig is just tacked together, it can be taken apart to be used in another jig, or if I were to be making lots of these, I could glue the jig together and keep it forever.

One of these days, I'll finish designing this M&T jig so I can post about how to use it for M&T.

John Schreiber Posted:

Slick work Truly EZ for a difficult project. Did you have the stops set or did you just do it by eye? If the stops were set, how did you set them?

Dik Harrison Replied:

Stops were definitely used.

John,

I do not trust things to freehand. I always want a fence, guide, template or bearing to help.

I set the stops for beginning outside the work piece enough to clear it safely, and so that the bit, a 1" boring bit, would stop tangent to the hole on either side. I hope that makes sense, if not I'll make a
drawing.

As you can see, the jig is mirrored because the two brackets are mirror images.

John Schreiber Replied:

I agree on using the stops whenever you can. It is much more reliable than doing it freehand. Do you set the stops by measuring from the workpiece to the guide rails and SRK? Or do you retract the bit to just above the workpiece, then move the router into each position and move the stops into place? Not sure if that is clear, but basically I'm asking how you set the position of the stops.

Dik Harrison Replied:

John,

I place the stops by placing the bit where I want it to stop, and then locking down the stop. The only time I measure is when I'm doing something like routing a slot, but even then I feel more comfortable
drawing the layout and placing the bit. That way I don't forget to account for the width of the bit.

I wish I had a plastic insert for the SRK base that would have concentric circles around the center of the bit, then I could pull out the router motor, place the insert, and set up using the circles inscribed on the insert and layout lines.

Burt Waddel Posted:

Dik,

Another great application for the EZ. It is clear that you have learned to think "EZ". I probably sound like a broken record but I am constantly amazed at the applications I find for the EZ.

Have Fun!

Burt

Jim Mumford Posted:

Dik,
I like that articulating clamp you made. Looks like it would come in handy quite often. Nice jig, nice work!
-Jim

Dik Harrison Replied:

Jim,

It is really quite simple. The head end is an 8" x 5/16" stove bolt with the head stuck in a hole that is big enough to allow the head to swivel, and held in place with a strip of aluminum, also with a hole
large enough to allow the head to swivel. On the other end, the block is threaded for the bolt and the knobs are attached to t-bolts that go in the t-slot. This is a better picture of the clamp.

Another use for the M&T jig. IMG_2545

Bill Griggs Posted:

hold down

Dik,
Could you explain how the hold down portion of your indexer works. I saw the drawing but I was wondering how you made the notch to hold the part to the rail.

Bill

Dik Harrison Replied:

Bill,

First I milled the block like the block on the left. Then with a chisel, I shaved the protrusion down like the block on the right.

Another use for the M&T jig. IndexerClamp

Bill Griggs Replied:

Another use for the M&T jig. Biggrin Thanks Dik.

I was wondering how that was done.

Bill

Dik Harrison Posted:

A couple of pics of the finished product.

Another use for the M&T jig. IMG_2608

Another use for the M&T jig. IMG_2607

Last edited by Dik Harrison on March 6th 2009, 4:18 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://ezsmart.blogspot.com

Another use for the M&T jig.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
EurekaZone Focus Group :: Eurekazone Tools General :: Tools In Action-
Jump to: