EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
EurekaZone Focus Group

EurekaZone now has a new forum, please support it. http://tracksawforum.com/index.php

HomeHome  Test PortalTest Portal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Announcement
EurekaZone is supporting a new forum, Track Saw Forum. Please visit and support it. The forum here will become inactive in the near future.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Statistics
We have 223 registered users
The newest registered user is Gene

Our users have posted a total of 850 messages in 227 subjects
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Building a tool with a tool...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dik Harrison

Dik Harrison

Building a tool with a tool... Empty
PostSubject: Building a tool with a tool...   Building a tool with a tool... EmptyMarch 10th 2009, 10:28 pm

This thread was originally posted on SMC.

I posted this in the sticky about EZ projects, but the thread didn't appear as having a new post, so...

I had to replace my old table saw extension table router table when I moved my TS to make room for my PBB. I wasn't going to build it yet, but I realized that I can't rout cathedral raised panels on the PBB with the jig and pattern that I use. I need to do that because I have a project that is more than a year old that I need to get finished (an appliance garage/cabinet for our kitchen).

The router table isn't finished yet, but is far enough along that I can use it, so no telling how long before it is "finished".

http://picasaweb.google.com/DikHarrison/RouterTable

Miker Goetzke Posted:

Dik - thanks for sharing. I've been woodworking as a hobbyist for over 20 years now and I'm embarrassed to say I have never thought of the two tricks you used: 1) getting the perfect dado width with material scraps and 2) setting the router plunge depth with the actual part to fill the groove.

Mike

Terry Pullen Posted:

Router plate

How do you like the round router plate?

P.S.
Isn't it funny how some things never seem to get finished? I've got an idea how about if I come over and finish up the cabinet doors on your table saw stand and you can come to my shop and finish all the stuff I started 20 years ago.

Peter West Posted:

It is there DIK.

I'm just puzzled why more projects aren't being posted. Building a tool with a tool... Frown

Dik Harrison Replied:

Terry, I sure do like it. Especially the magnetic levelers, they hold it in place, done change height like set screws do, and are easy to adjust. With this table, I can access the router from below very easily, but it is also easy to lift the plate if necessary (actually pry it up, the magnets are very strong I lifted the table top with it before I fastened it down). Given the current policies, I'm not sure I can say where it came from. PM me if you want to know.

Terry Pullen Replied:

Thanks Dik. I know where to find it.

We need some clarification on posting other sites. How do we know who is advertising on the Creek on a day to day basis.

It seems to me that mentioning a favorite tool or tool that is integrated into our personal EZ system should be ok. Otherwise how would we talk about a circular saw or blade?

I respect the Creeks need to protect their advertisers I just want some guidance on proper etiquette.

P.S.
Click on the links and visit the advertisers sites. After all they are helping us keep the Creek running.

Miker Goetzke Replied:

I agree clarification is needed - I think the intent is to not link to sites that could be of monetary benefit to the poster???

Andres Cuevas Replied:

I'm just puzzled why more projects aren't being posted.

Some of us need more time to have something to post Building a tool with a tool... Redface

Give me some time and I will post pictures of my new kitchen made in the ez way. Building a tool with a tool... Biggrin

Peter West Replied:

That I look forward to.

I am always intrigued by the differences between US construction methods and those which are common here in the UK.

Brian Giles Replied:

Give me some time and I will post pictures of my new kitchen made in the ez way.

How about some in process photos. I found people love those. LOL.

When I built my recording studio, I didnt provide as many as people asked for..... More is better

Bruce Benjamin Replied:

I agree clarification is needed - I think the intent is to not link to sites that could be of monetary benefit to the poster???

I sure hope Keith finds time to get back to us on this topic. It seems rather critical to the life of SMC. I hope you're right about what Keith meant in his Admin warning about competitive links. If he actually means that we can't post a link to a tool manufacturer or a distributer that doesn't advertise on SMC then this whole forum has sort of been castrated. It would be good to know what the specifics of the new rules are from those who made them. Clarification please, Keith?

Bruce

Jim Becker (Moderator) Replied:

Links are allowed. They are even encouraged. But SMC does not prefer that someone with a vested interest in a product or company do so in a promotional manner. If you own a company and produce a product, you may not use SMC to market your product. You may, however, as a number of folks do, provide helpful assistance answering questions about your product. If there is some clarification needed about whether to post or not, a simple PM to the moderator of the forum you are thinking about posting in will get you an answer--before you do it. And if you see a post that is obviously promotional in nature, click on the "report post button" at the top of that post to report the issue to the moderation staff for that forum.

And people who wish to be able to have a more proactive sales opportunity at SMC can do exactly what Dino did...work with Keith to set up a Manufacturer's Forum or contract for a banner ad. They should contact him directly relative to that. Both provide additional financial support to the site so more features can be added for the benefit of contributing members.

This is, I hope, a simple explaination to your question and beyond.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Andres Cuevas Replied:

I am always intrigued by the differences between US construction methods and those which are common here in the UK.

I'm using some US construction methods because of what I've been learning in their books. But you will see some constructions methods from Chile. Building a tool with a tool... Wink

Peter West Replied:

I look forward to seeing that.

Keith Otten (Adnministrator and Owner) Replied:

Concerning Links:

I don't think our policy has changed. We do allow links in discussions here as long as they are pertinent to the conversation and the poster will not realize a financial gain. I agree it isn't always black and white so Jim's suggestion about contacting a Moderator for clarification might be prudent in some cases. On the other hand most people probably recognize when someone is using The Creek to advertise their wares and they report these instances to us frequently.

Recently I removed a thread that was in the Turning Forum. The thread had a link to a video that was pure advertising for turning tools. I also removed a link yesterday from a post in this Forum that was to a video of the Jimmy Jig. The Jimmy Jig wasn't relevant to the thread or to anything EZ that I could tell, again it seemed to be advertising.

There are two reasons that we must be concerned with people using SawMill Creek to advertise their products and services. The first reason has always been a concern that we don't want to see The Creek chock full of unauthorized advertisements to the point that you couldn't find a woodworking thread. The second is that we are now relying on advertising to pay the bills here. If we give it away for free why would anyone pay to advertise here? If we cannot pay the bills we lose The Creek...it is just that simple.

Anyone who uses The Creek without our permission to promote their own products and services hurts every Member of this Community, our Staff and Jackie and myself. Links here are very valuable not just for the exposure to this Community, they help promote other peoples web sites on the search engines. In the near future we will be offering a links page but it will require a small monthly fee to have a link there. It is only fair that we are compensated for our efforts and after all most of the revenue here keeps The Creek flowing for all to enjoy.

Bruce Benjamin replied:

Thanks for clarifying your rules, Keith. Clear, concise and reasonable explanation.

Bruce

Dik Harrison Posted:

Added Three Drawers

The last couple of days, I've built three drawers in the router table. I didn't want to start my next cabinet until I upgraded to the B300, so I'm getting a little work for the shop done while I await the stuff from Dino.

The main thing I wanted to post is my setup for routing a recessed slot in the drawer faces that I can use to easily mount them. The slots are covered by the shop built drawer pulls. The pulls are actually cut-offs from a spoiled pull machined for the tambour on the appliance garage I recently completed.

Building a tool with a tool... RouterTable02
Router Table
The above link takes you to a picture collection, or there a write up on my Blog.
Back to top Go down
http://ezsmart.blogspot.com

Building a tool with a tool...
Page 1 of 1