EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
EurekaZone Focus Group

EurekaZone now has a new forum, please support it. http://tracksawforum.com/index.php

HomeHome  Test PortalTest Portal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Announcement
EurekaZone is supporting a new forum, Track Saw Forum. Please visit and support it. The forum here will become inactive in the near future.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Statistics
We have 223 registered users
The newest registered user is Gene

Our users have posted a total of 850 messages in 227 subjects
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Best shop vacuums

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bo Jones

Best shop vacuums Empty
PostSubject: Best shop vacuums   Best shop vacuums EmptyApril 19th 2009, 1:49 pm

I am using a Craftsman vacuum with lots of years on it and starting to get dust blowing out from my Makita 81/2. Recommendations and comments would be appreciated. Various ratings show the Rigid 1450 or the Craftsman 17066 at the top. Interesting that the Shop Vac is not high in ratings. Your thoughts, please.
Bo
Back to top Go down
Dik Harrison

Dik Harrison

Best shop vacuums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best shop vacuums   Best shop vacuums EmptyApril 19th 2009, 6:07 pm

Bo,

A friend gave me a Shop-Vac 90LN for doing a job for him. Thus far I'm impressed, it is much better than my old Craftsman. Quieter and with better vacuum. The large back wheels make it easy to roll over the inevitable debris on trhe shop floor. The small front wheels are not the best, sure beat the small wheels on the old Craftsman.
Back to top Go down
http://ezsmart.blogspot.com
Burt

Best shop vacuums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best shop vacuums   Best shop vacuums EmptyApril 19th 2009, 8:58 pm

Bo.

At the top of the list is the Fein. I have both the turbo 1 and turbo 2. Both are very good vacs but you pay for them. I checked specs of the Fein VS those shop vacs that the local lowes had in stock and the Fein specs were much better. My experience is owning the Shop Vac brand hasn't been good but it has been primarily with the smaller units. I burn the motors out on those all to frequently. I have heard good things about the league of shop vac that Dik has but I haven't used them.

There is a loty to be said for the craftsman. They seem to work well and last for a respectable period of time.

The Feins I am using have the advantage of having a built in auto on and off switch. It is nice turn your saw on and have the vac fire up at the same time. Sears and some other places have the auto switches as an add on. I think usual price is about $20.

If price is no object, the best bet is a fein along with a dust deputy. A dust deputy is about the same price as a sears shop vac.

Burt
Back to top Go down
Randal

Best shop vacuums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best shop vacuums   Best shop vacuums EmptyApril 20th 2009, 10:21 am

I have the Fein Turbo II, and recommend it. It is a bypass style vac, so the stuff your sucking up, never goes by the motor, it gets its cooling elsewhere. Now, to empty it less, I picked up, Onieda's new plastic dust deputy (work related reason why I went plastic over metal), if your getting something like a deputy/clearview/Thein then your budget may have to be less. The Ridgids, have a lower pitch, then some of the old Craftsman's I have access to. The Ridgids are made by Emerson, where the Craftsman vacs have gone from Emerson, to Shop-vac, and supposably back to Emerson.

Fein came out with a new one, (variable suction for sanders) so you may be able to get a deal on the older one. As for Ridgid, personal opinion, look for one of the ones with SNR (serial noise reduction), it is supposed to be quieter. Then you will need the $20 Craftsman auto switch.

Last edited by Randal on April 20th 2009, 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Kan't spellll Duh. LOL)
Back to top Go down
Bo Jones

Best shop vacuums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best shop vacuums   Best shop vacuums EmptyApril 20th 2009, 8:53 pm

Dik, Burt and Randal, thank you for your opinions and experience. Always able to count on you all. It gives a beginner like me a nice feeling knowing that tons of experience and knowledge is available. I bought a Onieda Dust Deputy a month ago so I'll stay with Craftsman or Rigid for now. The Fein would be nice, but us retired folks are getting kinda tight fisted.

Bo
Back to top Go down
Paul Greathouse

Paul Greathouse

Best shop vacuums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best shop vacuums   Best shop vacuums EmptyApril 20th 2009, 11:03 pm

Bo, you did good getting the Dust Deputy, mine works great.

I have two of the 6.5hp Shop vacs and haven't had a problem yet. I'm sure the Feins are better but I'm having great luck with the Shop Vac brand so far. Home Depot seems to be replacing the Rigid with another brand, can't remember the name. No experience with the Sears brand but probably on par with the Shop Vac and Rigid brands. I do use the Sears switch to start the Shop Vac when the saw starts.

How is the PBB build coming along?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Best shop vacuums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best shop vacuums   Best shop vacuums Empty

Back to top Go down

Best shop vacuums
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
EurekaZone Focus Group :: Eurekazone Tools General :: Tools In Action-
Jump to: