EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
EurekaZone Focus Group

EurekaZone now has a new forum, please support it. http://tracksawforum.com/index.php

HomeHome  Test PortalTest Portal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Announcement
EurekaZone is supporting a new forum, Track Saw Forum. Please visit and support it. The forum here will become inactive in the near future.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Statistics
We have 223 registered users
The newest registered user is Gene

Our users have posted a total of 850 messages in 227 subjects
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Questions about my plans for a bench.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bo Jones

Questions about my plans for a bench. Empty
PostSubject: Questions about my plans for a bench.   Questions about my plans for a bench. EmptyMay 29th 2009, 6:09 pm

After reading and studying all I could find about benches (an almost overwhelming task), and spending a delightful week enjoying the food and needles of a hospital I'm ready stop thinking and start building.

Please see a diagram in my second post and excuse 2 postings.

My plan is for a reverse L with a 48" by 24" base front and a 24" wide X 38" extending to the back on the right side. Overall floor space will be 48" X 62". The rail will be 82" which will give plenty of overhang for parking.

Two sliding 19" panels on the 38" leg.

If you can follow this (gotta learn Sketchup), my starting questions are:

1. A lot of talk about torsions boxes. The 24" X 48" base will be the cross cut, squaring, cabinet making part. Torsion box or just a good solid frame. I don't see the need for a T Box on the 38" X 24". Right?

1. If no T Box, what would be best size for the sides. I've seen 2 X 6, 1 X 4, 1 X 6. It will have a solid bottom and top with the SME's and sacrificial panels mounted on the top. 3/4 plywood all the way.
I really like Paul's sawdust catching top, but need to get going on 19 promised Hurricane Shutters. Probably change the top later.

What ever the sides, I will probably get the next size up and trim so all are straight and equal. ??

Any suggestions, comments or directions will really be appreciated. And I'm sure there will be more questions.

Thanks,

Bo

Last edited by Bo Jones on May 30th 2009, 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dik Harrison

Dik Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Questions about my plans for a bench.   Questions about my plans for a bench. EmptyMay 30th 2009, 9:58 am

Bo,

Sounds like a plan.

Bo Jones wrote:

What ever the sides, I will probably get the next size up and trim so all are straight and equal. ??

That is what I did. Also, getting larger 2x stock, I was able to get Southern Yellow Pine rather than the usual SFP (Spruce, Fir, Pine). The SYP machines better and is heavier.

You should try SketchUp. You can convey your ideas without getting detailed. Just draw blocks. I have found that SU really helps me plan my projects since I am a very visual person and have to see things to think clearly about them.
Back to top Go down
http://ezsmart.blogspot.com
Burt

PostSubject: Re: Questions about my plans for a bench.   Questions about my plans for a bench. EmptyMay 30th 2009, 6:02 pm

Bo Jones wrote:
After reading and studying all I could find about benches (an almost overwhelming task), and spending a delightful week enjoying the food and needles of a hospital I'm ready stop thinking and start building.

My plan is for a reverse L with a 48" by 24" base front and a 24" wide X 38" extending to the back on the right side. Overall floor space will be 48" X 62". The rail will be 82" which will give plenty of overhang for parking.

Two sliding 19" panels on the 38" leg.

Remember to deduct for the SME's.

If you can follow this (gotta learn Sketchup), my starting questions are:

1. A lot of talk about torsions boxes. The 24" X 48" base will be the cross cut, squaring, cabinet making part. Torsion box or just a good solid frame. I don't see the need for a T Box on the 38" X 24". Right?

A lot of people really like the T boxes. I normally don't use them. Take a look at the way Dino makes the 25 x 50 PBB. The only wood is in the top.

1. If no T Box, what would be best size for the sides. I've seen 2 X 6, 1 X 4, 1 X 6. It will have a solid bottom and top with the SME's and sacrificial panels mounted on the top. 3/4 plywood all the way.

Personally, I have always stuck with plywood - You could double the pieces if you want extra strength.

I really like Paul's sawdust catching top, but need to get going on 19 promised Hurricane Shutters. Probably change the top later.

Any suggestions, comments or directions will really be appreciated. And I'm sure there will be more questions.

Thanks,

Bo

I'm curious about how you plan to do your cross cuts. I found that on a similiar "T" design, there was to much running back and forth so I added on to make it work better.

Burt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about my plans for a bench.   Questions about my plans for a bench. Empty

Back to top Go down

Questions about my plans for a bench.
Page 1 of 1