EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
EurekaZone Focus Group

EurekaZone now has a new forum, please support it. http://tracksawforum.com/index.php

HomeHome  Test PortalTest Portal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Announcement
EurekaZone is supporting a new forum, Track Saw Forum. Please visit and support it. The forum here will become inactive in the near future.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Statistics
We have 223 registered users
The newest registered user is Gene

Our users have posted a total of 850 messages in 227 subjects
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jeff Johnston

SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw? Empty
PostSubject: SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw?   SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw? EmptyJuly 22nd 2008, 5:39 am

Hi everyone. I have a short length of guide rail attached to my smart square with handle. It is great for crosscutting lumber at a right angle however I haven't had much luck efficiently making the more unique cuts often executed with a chop saw. Has anyone experienced luck replacing their chop saw EZily? I'd rather not invest in the Bridge yet, so was hoping to perform this function with my existing setup. Thanks for your input.
Back to top Go down
DinoTheCarpenter

PostSubject: Re: SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw?   SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw? EmptyJuly 22nd 2008, 8:09 am

Jeff Johnston wrote:
Hi everyone. I have a short length of guide rail attached to my smart square with handle. It is great for crosscutting lumber at a right angle however I haven't had much luck efficiently making the more unique cuts often executed with a chop saw. Has anyone experienced luck replacing their chop saw EZily? I'd rather not invest in the Bridge yet, so was hoping to perform this function with my existing setup. Thanks for your input.

Hi Jeff.
Are you using the square like a fence on the far side?
Take a look here:
http://eurekazone.com/gallery/Right-and-left-blade-saws/Picture_065
Not trying to sell you a Bribge but very soon we will see the Cross cutting Bridge
with self clamping features. A version of the B-300.

I think, if you use the square as a fence you can do your cross cuts very easy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eurekazone.com
Burt

PostSubject: Re: SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw?   SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw? EmptyJuly 22nd 2008, 8:35 am

Jeff,

Another option is to use a miter gauge. I have a couple of the cheaper Incra miter gauges that I often use with the EZ. My self and a few others have taken the standard miter bar off and replaced it with a piece of ez connector. Then we attach something for a fence - back to back extrusion, a piece of wood or----. It involves drilling and tapping a few holes. I employ this both on the EZ rails and the PBB.

Burt
Back to top Go down
Mike Goetzke

PostSubject: Re: SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw?   SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw? EmptyJuly 22nd 2008, 10:20 am

Burt wrote:
Jeff,

Another option is to use a miter gauge. I have a couple of the cheaper Incra miter gauges that I often use with the EZ. My self and a few others have taken the standard miter bar off and replaced it with a piece of ez connector. Then we attach something for a fence - back to back extrusion, a piece of wood or----. It involves drilling and tapping a few holes. I employ this both on the EZ rails and the PBB.

Burt

Burt - I've seen you mention this a few times. Would it be possible for you to post a pic or two for slow learners? I'm especially interested in how you use it on the rail and PBB - i.e. on the PBB, does your PBB need an SME running parallel to the rail to accept the connector...

Thanks,

Mike
Back to top Go down
Burt

PostSubject: Re: SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw?   SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw? EmptyJuly 22nd 2008, 7:25 pm

[/quote]

Burt - I've seen you mention this a few times. Would it be possible for you to post a pic or two for slow learners? I'm especially interested in how you use it on the rail and PBB - i.e. on the PBB, does your PBB need an SME running parallel to the rail to accept the connector...

Thanks,

Mike[/quote]

Mike,

I'll try to make time for the photos in the next few days.

In general it is easiest to use the miter in a extrusion that is parallel to the cutting rail. But at the same time, I have used a miter in an extrusion that is 90 degrees to the cutting rail. It can be used for straight cuts of making angled rip cuts.

Burt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw?   SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw? Empty

Back to top Go down

SGS and Smart Square with handle as replacement for a chop saw?
Page 1 of 1