EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
EurekaZone Focus Group

EurekaZone now has a new forum, please support it. http://tracksawforum.com/index.php

HomeHome  Test PortalTest Portal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Announcement
EurekaZone is supporting a new forum, Track Saw Forum. Please visit and support it. The forum here will become inactive in the near future.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Statistics
We have 223 registered users
The newest registered user is Gene

Our users have posted a total of 850 messages in 227 subjects
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Appliance Garage Cabinet

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dik Harrison

Dik Harrison

Appliance Garage Cabinet Empty
PostSubject: Appliance Garage Cabinet   Appliance Garage Cabinet EmptyMarch 10th 2009, 10:46 pm

This thread was originally posted on SMC.

The bulk of this project was done pre-EZ. I am now using my PBB to finish up the cabinet, so I thought I would post the process and gloat little. Since I'm trying to keep a running log of the project on my Blog, I'll post there and post replies here when something is added.

My previous thread (Setup to rout cabinet door lips) was the first installment on this project. I have added an animation from the SketchUp drawing of the cabinet showing various features of the cabinet.

And today I posted how I setup to complete the tambour from parts that I milled pre-EZ.

Burt Wadell Posted:

Dik,

That is some beautiful work. You really can't appreciate That unless you've done it.

Burt

Dik Harrison Replied:

Thank you Burt, now I just need to get it finished, which always seems easier said than done...

Later,...
Everything is stained,

But I couldn't sleep last night, so I did a little animation of the assembly of the cabinet. If you are interested, take a look.

Craig Mitchell Posted:

That's very impressive work..... great animation too!!!!

Dik Harrison Posted:

Finally installed

I finally got the cabinet installed today. There a bunch of pics posted here, here are a few.Appliance Garage Cabinet Biggrin

Appliance Garage Cabinet IMG_1845
From Appliance Garage

Appliance Garage Cabinet IMG_1841
From Appliance Garage

Appliance Garage Cabinet IMG_1848
From Appliance Garage

Andres Cuevas Posted:

Good jobVery nice!!! Appliance Garage Cabinet Biggrin

Mike Goetzke Posted:

Dik - very nice. I like the animation too -wish I could do that. How did you mill the tambor slats - router bits? Any pics?

Mike

Dik Harrison Replied:

The tambour

Mike, I used a bit set and wire kit from Eagle America, but Rockler has similar bits as do other retailers, I'm sure.
Appliance Garage Cabinet Tambou10

Unfortunately, the slats were milled before I started documenting the process. I made mine with 5/8" stock, but probably should have gone with 3/8", due to the weight. It is a bit heavy for the LOML. This was done before I entered the EZ world, so I did them on my old router table setup. I can see where a SRK set up as a router tunnel would be ideal for milling tambours. As I indicate in my Blog, I did use my custom PBB to gang cut the tambour slats to length and to rout the guide pins on the ends. For the pins, I made a pass with a 1 1/2" bottom cleaning bit on each side of each end so that the pin was centered on the slat.

Appliance Garage Cabinet IMG_1790
From Appliance Garage

The first cut to get a clean end.

Appliance Garage Cabinet IMG_1794
From Appliance Garage

Setup to make the pins.

Appliance Garage Cabinet IMG_1796
From Appliance Garage

The first of four passes to mill the pins.

The holes for the cable were made 6" in from the end on one of my bench-top drill presses. The handle for the tambour was made on the router table with three different radius bits. To reduce friction and binding, I hand rounded-over the concave end of the pins with a rasp and sand paper.

Appliance Garage Cabinet Tambou11

Mike Goetzke Replied:

Thanks for the details. Is there a possibility to add a counterweight to help lift the door (like a window).

Mike

Dik Harrison Replied:

I guess I could try adding some weight to the back slat.
Back to top Go down
http://ezsmart.blogspot.com

Appliance Garage Cabinet
Page 1 of 1