EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
EurekaZone Focus Group

EurekaZone now has a new forum, please support it. http://tracksawforum.com/index.php

HomeHome  Test PortalTest Portal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Announcement
EurekaZone is supporting a new forum, Track Saw Forum. Please visit and support it. The forum here will become inactive in the near future.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Statistics
We have 223 registered users
The newest registered user is Gene

Our users have posted a total of 850 messages in 227 subjects
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Andres Cuevas

Andres Cuevas

Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty. Empty
PostSubject: Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty.   Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty. EmptyJuly 2nd 2008, 3:14 pm

I'm putting this here because the major idea of the Deadwood concept is keep the woodworker safe.

Maybe this thread must be located in a different topic, anyway.

I think that there is other aspects in woodworking that must be attended in order to make woodworking safe.
Let's face it, if Dino doesn't put attention to this he is giving room to his retractors to say something bad about the system and the ez philosophy.

And now to the point.
We need to talk about:
- Noise protection: You don't need too much noise to lose audition.
- Lung protection: This is one of the major issues in woodworking and having a good dust collection is not enough, it's good but not enough.
- Eye protection: Just put your glasses on. Smile

I'm not an expert in these areas and it's why I want to talk about it.

Hopefully for me I don't tolerate too much db, so in the shop I use earmuffs all the time. I don't even tolerate the hit of the hammer. Embarassed

One of my others hobbies is scuba diving, having a healthy respiratory system for me is a must.
Right now I'm using the resp-o-rator all the time in the shop.
I also have a Mini CV06 that works great.

But still have some bad things related to dust, my Vacuum-cleaner doesn't have an HEPA filter, I have the Ridgid WD4050. I need to upgrade to a bigger model with HEPA filter. And the vacuum is throwing the air inside my shop, I want to change that.

Dino, I know you have been doing improvements related to dust collection, but if people see you in your videos without any kind of the protections I already mentioned, they can think that there is no problem with not using it.

Andres.
Back to top Go down
DinoTheCarpenter

PostSubject: Re: Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty.   Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty. EmptyJuly 2nd 2008, 3:42 pm

Andres,
You're 101% correct.
I will delete all videos and start allover.. the Ez Smart way.
Time to do it right.
Thanks Andres.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eurekazone.com
Bruce Benjamin

PostSubject: Re: Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty.   Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty. EmptyJuly 2nd 2008, 5:44 pm

DinoTheCarpenter wrote:
Andres,
You're 101% correct.
Time to do it right.
Thanks Andres.

Well let's not get carried away, Dino. How about you keep each video until you have they replacement and then delete them one at a time. I hope that was what you meant. Otherwise it will take a long time to replace them all.

I believe the number one safety priority, (after not cutting your hands/fingers off) is eye protection. There are very few power tools that I use without eye protection of some sort.

After that it's a toss up between ear and lung protection. It depends on what I'm doing. I use either my dust collector or my shop vac whenever possible but not all of my machines are DC capable. But pretty much anything that kicks up dust gets connected to one or the other. I also use a dust mask called the Resp-o-rator Jr. sold by Hartville Tool. It uses a snorkel type of mouthpiece with a round cloth filter attached to the front of it. It filters down to 1 micron, I think. It took a little to get used to it but I like it because I can use it and get a good seal even though I have a full beard.

Ear protection is one thing I rarely see on any TV wood working shows or on internet videos. I either use the ear muff style or I also sometimes use the kind that have small ear plugs attached to a springy bracket that goes over my head. Both work well.

Some people will come up with all sorts of excuses for not using these three basic forms of safety equipment. I understand because I have done it many times. But more and more I'm forcing myself to protect my eyes, ears, and lungs. It's not convenient but it's worth it and it doesn't take all that long to get used to it and then it's not so bad.

Bruce
Back to top Go down
DinoTheCarpenter

PostSubject: Re: Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty.   Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty. EmptyJuly 2nd 2008, 7:42 pm

Bruce Benjamin wrote:
DinoTheCarpenter wrote:
Andres,
You're 101% correct.
Time to do it right.
Thanks Andres.

Well let's not get carried away, Dino. How about you keep each video until you have they replacement and then delete them one at a time. I hope that was what you meant. Otherwise it will take a long time to replace them all.

Bruce

Bruce,
One good day and we can shoot 20-30 videos.
We need to revisit our videos and make them the right way.
Back to top Go down
Bruce Benjamin

PostSubject: Re: Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty.   Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty. EmptyJuly 2nd 2008, 8:13 pm

[quote="DinoTheCarpenterBruce,
One good day and we can shoot 20-30 videos.
We need to revisit our videos and make them the right way.[/quote]

I'm in complete agreement. The videos should be redone to show proper safety techniques. I just didn't think you should delete them all first and then start shooting them all over again. Maybe delete the old ones as the new ones are redone.

Bruce
Back to top Go down
Robert Fordham

PostSubject: Re: Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty.   Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty. EmptyJuly 3rd 2008, 3:32 pm

Dino,

I know you love to film outside under the shade tree, or in the driveway, but the direct sunlight, or the shadows sometimes makes it hard to see a part, or see the cut line, etc.

Better video clarity may help sell the EZ system to more wood workers. If you can set up a stage for a few days, rent some lights, add dust collection, hearing, and eye protection I'm sure you will have some winning videos.

Keep inventing. Everyone I know that has see my EZ PBB calls me to help them with their projects.

Bob
Back to top Go down
DinoTheCarpenter

PostSubject: Re: Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty.   Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty. EmptyJuly 3rd 2008, 7:16 pm

Robert,
Done. About time.
Back to top Go down
matthew fiori

matthew fiori

PostSubject: Hear is a product that I find works well   Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty. EmptyJuly 4th 2008, 11:32 am

The nice thing about this product is that you can simply hang them around your neck when you are finished one operation so they are easily accessible for the next cut. I often find them hanging there forgotten about because they are so light and unobtrusive. If you decide to get them, get some additional foam ear pieces. They do not last forever. The product is called ZEM.

http://www.amazon.com/SensGard-Revolutionary-Hearing-Protection-Orange/dp/B00149DR5G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1215184431&sr=1-2

I use them all whenever working with a router. It's a different world with them on and one that I believe tends to allow for a bit more attention to the cut because it
lowers your propensity to rush so that you can turn off the noise.
Back to top Go down
http://matthewfiori.blogspot.com/
Bruce Benjamin

PostSubject: Re: Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty.   Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty. EmptyJuly 4th 2008, 3:12 pm

matthew fiori wrote:
The nice thing about this product is that you can simply hang them around your neck when you are finished one operation so they are easily accessible for the next cut. I often find them hanging there forgotten about because they are so light and unobtrusive. If you decide to get them, get some additional foam ear pieces. They do not last forever. The product is called ZEM.

http://www.amazon.com/SensGard-Revolutionary-Hearing-Protection-Orange/dp/B00149DR5G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1215184431&sr=1-2

I use them all whenever working with a router. It's a different world with them on and one that I believe tends to allow for a bit more attention to the cut because it
lowers your propensity to rush so that you can turn off the noise.

Matthew, I have some ear plugs that are similar in design to yours. I've been using them for quite a few years and they are very convenient. The downside I've found with mine is that they don't always, "Seat" properly in my ear so sometimes they do a better job of blocking the sound than other times. But I can just adjust them to make them fit like they should. Certainly not a big deal. I also have some ear muff style ones that I got from Harbor Freight. I doubt that they are the best out there but they do block more sound than the ear plug style that I have. I nearly always use them when I'm using my Dewalt planer. It's so loud that the ear plug type doesn't quite cut it for me. And if I'm using them for my planer I tend to just leave them on for the entire time I'm working.

I agree with your comment about it being a different world with ear protection on. I find that I can concentrate more on what I'm doing and that in itself is a good enough reason to wear ear protection. For me it's not only that I'm not rushing through the cut but also that I'm not so distracted. I make my young son or any other member of my family wear ear and eye protection when they visit me in my shop.

Bruce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty.   Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty. Empty

Back to top Go down

Time for looking other aspect of making woodworking more safty.
Page 1 of 1