EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
EurekaZone Focus Group

EurekaZone now has a new forum, please support it. http://tracksawforum.com/index.php

HomeHome  Test PortalTest Portal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Announcement
EurekaZone is supporting a new forum, Track Saw Forum. Please visit and support it. The forum here will become inactive in the near future.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Statistics
We have 223 registered users
The newest registered user is Gene

Our users have posted a total of 850 messages in 227 subjects
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dik Harrison

Dik Harrison

JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table Empty
PostSubject: JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table   JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table EmptyApril 13th 2009, 7:28 pm

This thread was originally posted on SMC by Joseph J. Shields. It is here with his permission.

Just finished this Shaker Table for my wife. I built one last winter for my Church auction and my wife liked so much I built her one. (I think this is the time to ask her about the Domino JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table Cool JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table Cool ???

A few details about the table:

• The Design is based on an old Dana Robes design. He calls it a Shaker hunt board.
  • The top is a solid piece of curly soft maple (very curly)
  • All of the drawer fronts came from 1 piece of curly cherry (I even cut and matched the rails from the same piece)
  • The dovetails are boring and made from my 10 year old $50 PC
    dovetail jig (works great, but the dovetails look like they were made
    by a jig JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table Mad ). I hoping to get the NEW PC dovetail jig with variable spacing when it is released later this spring.
  • The knobs are walnut
  • The legs on the front face are quarter saw (nice flecks)
  • I plan on "sun burning" the table to darken the cherry... when the we get sun and warmth here in WI
I finished the table with Rockler's Poly Gel. This stuff is greatJJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table Biggrin All you do is rub it on with a scothbrite pad and wipe it off with paper towels. It takes about 2-3 coats. You never get any runs and the finish has a real nice feel to it. I used to get heart failure JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table Rolleyes every time I had to finish a project. With this stuff... it's a piece of cake. If you haven't tried it... try it! (Note-I used a water based poly for my first coat on the maple top... I didn't want the maple to go too yellow)

Thanks for looking!

-jj

JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table 1-shak10

JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table 2-shak10

JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table 3-shak10

Bruce Benjamin Posted:

Beautiful job, JJ. How much of that was done with EZ tools?

Bruce

JJ Shields Replied:

Hey Bruce... thanks for the kind words!!

I used the EZ for all the cuts on the table top and the aprons.

I'm still "hooked" on my table saw for certain cuts... like the drawers and tapering the legs. (If I had the Bridge..Hint hint Dino.... I would have used the EZ for the drawers) My saw couldn't cut deep enough for
the legs.

-jj

Dino Makropoulos Posted:

Nice job JJ.JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table Cool
If you have the bridge... I give you a hint.JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table Biggrin JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table Biggrin
From Today's final test...before the truck.
18 sec to straight line rip- cut to width and length a 2" strip 24" long.
I used some wood from pallet stock.

And after that we cut the strip to parts with angles 179 degree.
Only one thing left for me to do.

The last ez challenge.

I'm still "hooked" on my table saw for certain
cuts... like the drawers and tapering the legs. (If I had the
Bridge..Hint hint Dino.... I would have used the EZ for the drawers) My
saw wouldn't cut deep enough for the legs.

A hint for you JJ.JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table Biggrin JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table Biggrin

Joe Myers Replied:

Dino,

"18 sec to straight line rip- cut to width and length a 2" strip 24" long."

Using the Bridge, I can believe it. I build a lot of planters, garden bridges, etc., out of RWRL cedar and need lots of of same size strips. Using the regular Guide, clamps, etc. is quite time consuming so I've been using my TS. Waiting for the Bridge to come out to see just how well it works.

"My saw wouldn't cut deep enough for the legs."

The Bridge will cut straight or angle cuts. If it is a parallel cut, just cut, turn the wood end-to-end and cut again. If it is an angle cut, same with turning the wood end-to-end, but not sure the best way to handle the angles. But I'm sure you have an easy way of doing it.

Regards, Joe

Paul Greathouse Posted:

That's a great looking table Joseph. I can't wait until I have my shop setup properly so I can start working on projects like yours rather than building and furnishing the shop.
Back to top Go down
http://ezsmart.blogspot.com

JJ Shields - EZ to make Shaker Table
Page 1 of 1