EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
EurekaZone Focus Group

EurekaZone now has a new forum, please support it. http://tracksawforum.com/index.php

HomeHome  Test PortalTest Portal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Announcement
EurekaZone is supporting a new forum, Track Saw Forum. Please visit and support it. The forum here will become inactive in the near future.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Statistics
We have 223 registered users
The newest registered user is Gene

Our users have posted a total of 850 messages in 227 subjects
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Blade Guard for my Bridge

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dik Harrison

Dik Harrison

Blade Guard for my Bridge Empty
PostSubject: Blade Guard for my Bridge   Blade Guard for my Bridge EmptyMarch 6th 2009, 1:31 pm

his thread was originally posted on SMC.

My WORX doesn't have a brake, so the blade is still spinning when I want to raise the bridge for the next cut. I have to be careful, but am afraid that someday I might forget, so I designed a blade guard for the bridge. Here are some drawings, I'll post pics when I get it built.

Blade Guard for my Bridge Bladeg10

Blade Guard for my Bridge Bladeg11

Blade Guard for my Bridge Bladeg12

Randal Stevens Posted:

Excellent idea. Also well worth it for those left handed worm saws.

Dik Harrison Posted:The finished article

Here are the pics of the blade guard.
First is the top view, the core is three layers of 3/4" ply, and the guard and front are poplar.

Blade Guard for my Bridge IMG_2462
From BladeGuard

This is the bottom, the knobs clear the hinge arms, handle, cross piece, and bridge.

Blade Guard for my Bridge IMG_2463
From BladeGuard

Here the blade is lowered to cut 1 1/2" stock. Note the cord I use to raise and/or keep raised the saw's blade guard. Since I now have this guard, I'll probably keep the guard raised when the saw is on the rail.

Blade Guard for my Bridge IMG_2464
From BladeGuard

The other side, I probably should make a guard on that side for when I cut in the other direction. I haven't done so yet, so I may never add that guard. I might also put a guard on the other end of the rail, but it will have to be of a different design. Note that the Smart Base hits the end block to prevent the saw from being pushed too far.

Blade Guard for my Bridge IMG_2467
From BladeGuard

Here you can see the saw kerf from the top.

Blade Guard for my Bridge IMG_2468
From BladeGuard

Mike Goetzke Posted:

Dik - Nice design. Looks like you run your saw on the "unconventional" side of the rail? Do you always run your saw to the stop? When I had a Worx saw I tore up the white anti-chip a couple of times lifting the saw too quickly. Running the saw to a stop would prevent damaging the anti-chip in the working area. With a brake on the saw now I usually release the trigger as soon as I'm through the cut. This seems to reduce the dust explosion you get when the blade breaks through the cut.

Mike

Dik Harrison replied:

Thanks Mike,

...Looks like you run your saw on the "unconventional" side of the rail?

I always keep the keeper piece under the rail and use my Biesemeyer fence for measurement most of the time (rarely use a cut line and the EAC-1), so I cur on the "unconventional" side.

...Do you always run your saw to the stop?

My squaring stops are on the side that I cut toward, so I always run the saw to the end of the rail.

...When I had a Worx saw I tore up the white anti-chip a couple of times lifting the saw too quickly. Running the saw to a stop would prevent damaging the anti-chip in the working area.

I too have chewed up a few EACs by lifting the saw before the blade has stopped. Maybe someday I'll break down and get a saw with a brake.

...With a brake on the saw now I usually release the trigger as soon as
I'm through the cut. This seems to reduce the dust explosion you get
when the blade breaks through the cut.

Speaking of the Biesemeyer fence, I just ordered a Wixey Digital fence gadget, I'm tired of converting my digital caliper readings to fractions to set the fence when I'm cutting small pieces.

Andres Cuevas Posted:

Nice work Dik!!!

What I did with my bridge was cut the EAC-1, this way I don't have anti-chip protection in the parking area of the bridge, now the blade guard is always closed in both ends of the bridge.

Andres.
Back to top Go down
http://ezsmart.blogspot.com

Blade Guard for my Bridge
Page 1 of 1