EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
A new forum is now up.

http://tracksawforum.com/index.php
EurekaZone Focus Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
EurekaZone Focus Group

EurekaZone now has a new forum, please support it. http://tracksawforum.com/index.php

HomeHome  Test PortalTest Portal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Announcement
EurekaZone is supporting a new forum, Track Saw Forum. Please visit and support it. The forum here will become inactive in the near future.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Statistics
We have 223 registered users
The newest registered user is Gene

Our users have posted a total of 850 messages in 227 subjects
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

My first experience with the smart guide

Go down 
AuthorMessage
nickdu

My first experience with the smart guide Empty
PostSubject: My first experience with the smart guide   My first experience with the smart guide EmptyAugust 24th 2009, 4:20 pm

This past weekend I used my new smart guide for the first time. I also purchased a Makita 5007 MAG with the smart guide.

First of all let me say that I'm not experienced with woodworking or construction, or no more than any other person who grew up helping their father with construction tasks around the house.

Back to this weekend's project. I have a new miter saw and the smart table and ez guide with a makita 5007 (is that the model number?). I'm assuming in order to save money you would use the more expensive 10" miter saw blades on finish work and the less expensive 7 1/4" circular saw blades on rough work. Is this correct?

I needed to cut some 2x4's for wall studs. So I decided to try to cut them with the ez-guide (maybe overkill) and smart table. I had a hard time doing this. Maybe the smart table isn't meant for this but instead for sheet cutting (plywood). I'm not sure, please correct me if I'm wrong. The first problem I noticed is that the saw's blade guard was coming in contact with the ez-guide and making it hard to slide the saw. By the way, I started with the saw on the end of the guide, was I supposed to start a bit into the guide and raise the blade guard manually to get around this?

To get around the blade guard problem I raised the guard manually to get past the problem. The saw got through some portion of the 2x4 (crosscut), maybe 2 1/2", but then it wasn't going any further. I assume it was due to the wood pinching the saw blade. If so, what's the best way to crosscut this type of material?

Thanks,
Nick
Back to top Go down

My first experience with the smart guide
Page 1 of 1